Here it is, yeah! Called “Adderley” in memory of Nat Adderley, the new and best edition of WordPress is ready for download or upgrade from your dashboard.
Say hello to more and better.
More ways to make your pages come alive. With easier ways to get it all done and looking better than ever—and boosts in speed, you can feel.
Each new update brings further to the block editor.
Further opportunities to make articles and pages come alive with the best of your photos. Many options to introduce the guests, and hold them connected, to the abundance of embedded information from the top cloud providers. Many directions to render your dream concrete, and position bricks in a great place — even if you’re new to a specific kind of block. More effective systems are required. And more pace anywhere, because when you create parts or galleries or even write a line of prose, you will feel how much easier your workflows.
Two new blocks. And better blocks overall.
- Two brand-new blocks: Social Icons and Buttons make adding interactive features fast and easy.
- New ways with color: Gradients in the Buttons and Cover block, toolbar access to color options in Rich Text blocks, and for the first time, color options in the Group and Columns blocks.
- Guess a whole lot less! Version 5.4 streamlines the whole process for placing and replacing multimedia in every block. Now it works the same way in almost every block!
- And if you’ve ever thought your image in the Media+Text block should link to something else—perhaps a picture of a brochure should download that brochure as a document? Well, now it can.
Cleaner UI, clearer navigation—and easier tabbing!
- Clearer block navigation with block breadcrumbs. And easier selection once you get there.
- For when you need to navigate with the keyboard, better tabbing and focus. Plus, you can tab over to the sidebar of nearly any block.
- Speed! 14% faster loading of the editor, 51% faster time-to-type!
- Tips are gone. In their place, a Welcome Guide window you can bring up when you need it—and only when you need it—again and again.
- Know at a glance whether you’re in a block’s Edit or Navigation mode. Or, if you have restricted vision, your screen reader will tell you which mode you’re in.
Read Also:How to Start Freelancing?
Your fundamental right: privacy
5.4 helps with a variety of privacy issues around the world. So when users and stakeholders ask about regulatory compliance, or how your team handles user data, the answers should be a lot easier to get right.
Take a look:
- Now personal data exports include users session information and users location data from the community events widget. Plus, a table of contents!
- See progress as you process export and erasure requests through the privacy tools.
- Plus, little enhancements throughout give the privacy tools a little cleaner look. Your eyes will thank you!
More For Developers
Add custom fields to menu items—natively
Two new actions let you add custom fields to menu items—without a plugin and without writing custom walkers.
On the Menus admin screen,
wp_nav_menu_item_custom_fields fires just before the move buttons of a nav menu item in the menu editor.
In the Customizer,
wp_nav_menu_item_custom_fields_customize_template fires at the end of the menu-items form-fields template.
Check your code and see where these new actions can replace your custom code, and if you’re concerned about duplication, add a check for the WordPress version.
Blocks! Simpler styling, new APIs and embeds
- Radically simpler block styling. Negative margins and default padding are gone! Now you can style blocks the way you need them. And, a refactor got rid of four redundant wrapper divs.
- If you build plugins, now you can register collections of your blocks by namespace across categories—a great way to get more brand visibility.
- Let users do more with two new APIs: block variations and gradients.
- In embeds, now the block editor supports TikTok—and CollegeHumor is gone.
Originally posted on April 2, 2020 @ 7:42 am